Sunday, June 28, 2009

Camp Formosa 2009

Last week I went to Camp Formosa. For those of you who don't know it is a church camp that I have gone to since I was a little kid. The first week is junior camp which is for 3rd-7th graders. I don't go to that one. The one I go to is senior camp. It is for 8th-12th graders. It goes by the grade you are going into. But you also go as a camper the year you graduate high school. I have been associated with this camp for a majority of my life. I absolutely love it. It is in Formosa, AR which is way out in the sticks. It isn't a fancy camp but it is wonderful. It is very inexpensive so we have a lot of poor kids that come. We also have a lot of kids who have never been to church. The goal of our camp is to help kids get saved and to teach them how to live a Christian life in a world that isn't very supportive of Christianity. I taught half of the 8th grade but I also had four 7th graders in my class because their moms were working at camp. I also had a small group at night which is a group of about 8-10 girls that me and Lisa (another member of the camp staff) met with each night to discuss different things. I've never been to another church camp before so I can't compare Camp Formosa to other places but I think this place is amazing. The Holy Spirit is so heavy in this place. It is amazing. One of the girls in my small group had never been in church before. The first few nights she was very overwhelmed with all of her emotions. She fought it very hard but after a few nights she got saved. It was awesome!!!! What an amazing feeling to have God use you to accomplish His plan. I get just as blessed as the kids do. Sometimes I think I get blessed even more than they do. The evangelist this week was Cliff Clark. I have known him since I was about 8 years old. He is the most amazing preacher I have ever listened to. He has cerebral palsy. But that doesn't stop him. He is in such close communication with God on a daily basis. I've never known anyone to have such a direct line to God. He is so awesome. My favorite thing about him is he preaches on the kids level. He is very entertaining and he talks about things that are relevant to them. He is very big on doing things that will interest the kids. He makes the kids repeat out loud a lot of what he says. He appeals to all ages and his so awesome. I've never known another preacher who the kids not only listen to his sermons but they remember them. The next day I would ask them what he preached on and they could immediately repeat all of his main points. If you've never worked with teenagers before you won't understand how amazing that is. He is one youtube if you would like to look him up. Search for boots1956 on youtube. By Thursday or Friday of this week all of his sermons from church camp should be posted. His wife videos all of his sermons to post on youtube. Our camp video will also be posted. We are very blessed with a young man named Austin who is very talented in the video field and he does a camp video for us each year. So much happened that my mind is kind of spinning right now. I can't think of everything and it would take me forever to post so I'm going to break it into a few posts over the next few weeks. Needless to say I was touched by God. It happens every year but in a different way every year. I could never thank God enough for letting me be a part of Camp Formosa.

No comments: