Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Homemade Dishwashing Detergent

So, DJ sent me a link about some other homemade things I could make since I love the homemade laundry detergent so much. So I googled how to make homemade dishwashing detergent. I found several recipes but the most common one was this:
1 part baking soda or washing soda
1 part borax
Use 2 tablespoons in the wash per load. Put vinegar in the rinse dispenser where you would usually put jet dry.

A lot of people said that it caused a buildup on their dishes. Some people said that putting a few drops of dish washing liquid in with the powder fixed the build up problem. Other recipes called for this same recipe but also added 1 part cascade powder. A lot of people said this worked great. I tried it for the first time tonight but the dishwasher is still going so I'll let you know how it works.

As a side note I now a lot of people don't know much about cloth diapers and may think I'm crazy for using them because of the folding and pins and all of that. A lot of people don't understand what these new kind are so I thought I would put a link to the ones I use so everyone could see what they look like and how they work: bum genius 3.0 one size pocket diaper
I've also decided to make my own cloth wipes out of old receiving blankets. We got a ton of receiving blankets as baby gifts and we never used them because they weren't big enough to swaddle. So I thought I would cut one of them up for cloth wipes. I'm going to DJ's mom's house tomorrow for her to show me how to use the sewing machine. I don't have a clue how to sew. I can sew a button on, that is it. I have never used a sewing machine before. These wipes will be much thinner and less absorbent than the ones I bought but they are just for wiping Makenna's butty so I don't think it will be a big deal. I have some other homemade things in mind I'm going to try so I'll let you know when I decide to try them.

No comments: