Saturday, January 31, 2009

Going Good, Makenna's Sick, Low Milk Supply

My new job is going good. I was in the nursery for 2 weeks and then I was on the floor this last week. I thought I would like the nursery better but I actually like working on the floor and taking care of the mommas better. I really like talking to them and helping them. Hopefully when I'm off orientation I will get to work mostly on the floor. I don't like that I have to get up at 4:00 am but I really like working during the day. When I see the night shift come on I'm so glad that its not me. I worked Friday night in the ER and I'm very glad that it's not my primary job anymore. I definitely made the right choice.
Makenna is sick. She started getting a runny nose on Tuesday. Then she had a fever of 102 on Thursday. She is VERY congested. I try suctioning her but its not helping. She isn't able to nurse because she is so congested. She starts sucking and then has to pull off and pants and tries to breath. After a few attempts to nurse she gets so frustrated and starts screaming her head off. She gets so upset that she can't nurse. She is only able to nurse when I use neosinephrine in her nose and I can only use that 2-3 times a day. So I'm pumping and DJ is feeding her milk in a bottle with a fast flow nipple. Friday she just laid around and cried. It was pitiful. But Friday evening while I was at work DJ said she started to want to play. This morning she played in her playroom for a long time. So, she is feeling better but she is still too congested to nurse. Hopefully this will pass soon.
My milk supply is low again. Usually when this happens I take Reglan but it isn't working this time. Makenna seems to be getting enough from me when I'm home but I'm not pumping very much when I'm at work. I used to pump 10 oz in a 12 hour shift. I have only been pumping from 5-8oz. Hopefully I can make my milk last until she is a year old and then I can mix breastmilk with whole milk. It's not helping that she is sick and not able to nurse so I'm having to pump. So I'm using my milk store on my days off when I normally wouldn't be doing that. It's stressing me out but hopefully it will work out. I think it may have to do with the fact that I'm working so much more. I used to be home for 4 days in a row to nurse her. But now I'm only off 1-2 days at a time. I think that's why my supply is low. Stressing about it makes it worse but its hard not to do.

1 comment:

sdhorton said...

I know the feeling with milk supply. I have tried not to worry about it so much and still give him half bm and half formula when I am gone. At least you are still being able to do some bm. It's better than none even if you do have to mix it. That's what I think anyways.